University Human Resources works collaboratively with university departments on the evaluation and classification of all staff positions in accordance with the existing compensation system.
Classification Review Process
The Classification Review process determines the appropriate classification, job title and salary grade for all new, vacant, and encumbered staff positions through a review and analysis of the position’s duties and responsibilities.
When Should a Classification Review Be Requested?
A review should be requested whenever:
- A new position is created
- The functions of an existing position (vacant or encumbered) have changed.
It should be noted that the grade structure encompasses a broad scope of responsibilities, which may limit the need for a reclassification.
A classification review is not needed when a department wishes to recruit for a vacant position for which the job duties have not changed.
How Does the Classification Review Process Work?
- A departmental ROCS Coordinator logs into the ROCS and enters the current job duties of the position, an organizational chart and other supporting documents. The Classification and Recruitment Form (CARF) is used as a working document to capture information to be submitted in ROCS.
- The request is electronically routed to UHR and assigned to an HR Consultant, who conducts a preliminary evaluation.
- The HR Consultant notifies the department and the employee of the results of the review and:
- UHR processes the reclassification and notifies payroll when action is required.
- If the position is new or vacant, an Employment Coordinator works with the department to prepare a posting.
Self-Initiated Classification Reviews
Employees who believe that their job duties have changed significantly have the option to self-initiate a classification review. An employee may ask their department ROCS initiator to enter the information directly into ROCS, or the employee can complete a CARF and send it by email to ROCS@HR.rutgers.edu.
Classification and Recruitment Form (CARF)
The CARF is a working document that can be used to capture information to be submitted in ROCS related to new, vacant, and encumbered staff positions. It captures the key responsibilities and other relevant information. The CARF is not required but can be used as a draft. For self-initiated classification reviews, the CARF can be submitted to UHR directly.
Recruitment, Onboarding, and Classification System (ROCS)
ROCS is an automated system that streamlines the process to request classifications and/or postings of new, vacant, or encumbered positions.
- ROCS online training resource provides you easy instructions for using the system.
- Easy-to-use, online system that allows you to submit the required forms and obtain all the necessary approvals electronically, even from the budget office
- You can monitor the progress of your requests online
Please note -- For security purposes, the administrative login for the Recruitment, Onboarding, and Classification System (ROCS) requires users to log in from a computer or other device on a trusted Rutgers network. If you would like to use this application from outside the Rutgers IT infrastructure, you will need to first connect to a virtual private network (VPN) service. You can do so by visiting the Office of Information Technology (OIT)’s VPN tool at http://ssl-vpn.rutgers.edu. Contact the OIT helpdesk if you require assistance in setting up a secure VPN into the Rutgers network.
Generic Job Description Summaries
Generic descriptions and requirements for frequently used titles within the Administrative, Professional or Supervisory job families are available for use by departments.
- Academic Support/Student Services Titles (assistant deans, student services, admissions, health services, library services)
- Administrative Titles (administrative assistants, departmental administrators, program coordinators)
- Business/Accounting Titles
- Central Administrative Titles (facilities, housing, dining services)
- External Affairs Titles (public relations, editorial/media specialists, development)
- Information Technology Titles
- Research/Technical Titles