Changes to records and benefit coverage levels may be appropriate as a result of your divorce or dissolution of a civil union/same-sex domestic partnership. Note that some changes must be reported within 60 days of the divorce decree or dissolution.

Update Home Address and Contact Information

Change your home address, phone number, and emergency contact information online through the Address Directory Record (ADR). Make your ADR changes immediately as this information is used for W-2 mailing.

Name Change

  • To record your name change, present your supervisor with a copy of your new marriage certificate and Social Security card and he/she will contact a HR representative to update your employee file. Official documentation is required.
  • A name change also requires that you complete a new W-4 form.
  • You may also want to change your name through the Social Security Administration.

Federal Withholding Allowance

Instructions for changing federal withholding allowance are available from the Division of Payroll Services. W4 forms may be obtained through the individual in your office who processes payroll forms.

Health Insurance Coverage

To cancel coverage on your former spouse:

Update Beneficiary

Alternate Benefit Program (ABP) members must complete the Designation of Beneficiary form and return it to: Division of Pensions and Benefits, Beneficiary Services, P.O. Box 295 Trenton, NJ 08625-0295

Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) and Police and Firemen's Retirement System (PFRS) members who wish to verify, update, or change their beneficiary information must use the online Designation of Beneficiary Application available through a the Member Benefits Online System (MBOS).

ABP Retirement Accounts

Update beneficiary information for investment accounts. Contact the appropriate investment carrier for a Designation of Beneficiary form:

AIG 1-800-448-2542
AXA Equitable 1-866-752-0072
MassMutual 1-848-248-4875
VOYA Financial 1-877-873-0321
MetLife 1-732-623-5700
TIAA 1-800-842-8412
Prudential 1-855-652-2711

Flexible Spending Accounts (Divorce only)

You may elect to:

  • Enroll in the Unreimbursed Medical or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
  • Increase or decrease your Annual Salary Deduction amount
  • Cancel coverage
  • Make no changes (no action necessary)

To enroll, or change your Annual Salary Deduction amount within 60 days of the divorce decree:

Rutgers Federal Credit Union

  • To remove your former spouse or civil union/same-sex domestic partner from your account, the account must be closed and a new account opened in your name. Contact the Rutgers Federal Credit Union for additional information