University Human Resources works collaboratively with university departments on the evaluation and classification of all support staff positions in accordance with the existing compensation system.
Classification Review Process
The process determines the appropriate classification and grade for all new, vacant, and encumbered staff positions through a review of the position’s duties and responsibilities. Staff positions include Administrative and Managerial, Professional, Supervisory or Confidential positions and other aligned and nonaligned staff positions.
Please contact the appropriate human resources office for assistance with this process:
- Camden Human Resources Office: (856) 225-6475
- Newark Human Resources: (973) 353-5500
- HR Consultants: (848) 932-3020
When Should a Classification Review Be Requested?
A review should be requested whenever:
- A new position is created
- The functions of an existing position (vacant or encumbered) have significantly changed and the department requests a re-evaluation of the position’s current grade
It should be noted that the grade structure encompasses a broad scope of responsibilities, which may limit the need for a reclassification.
A classification review is not needed when a department wishes to recruit for a vacant position for which the job duties have not changed. However, a request to recruit and announce this vacancy must be submitted to the appropriate human resources office. For more information, see our Hiring Toolkit.
How Does the Classification Review Process Work?
UHR compensation staff conduct classification review meetings with committees of senior administrators who are subject matter experts in their functional areas.
- Complete the Classification and Recruitment Form (CARF) outlining the key responsibilities and other related information about the position in question. This is not required for COLT vacancies where the duties, title, and range remain the same.
- Save a copy of the CARF for your files.
- Log into the ATS and submit the completed CARF. The ATS User Guide provides you easy instructions for using the system.
- The request is electronically routed to UHR and assigned to an HR Consultant, who conducts a preliminary evaluation of your case.
- The HR Consultant presents an evaluation summary to the classification committee. After the position is evaluated, the appropriate classification and grade is determined. You and/or your employee(s) may be contacted during the meeting to address questions from the committee.
The HR Consultant notifies you of the results of the review and:
- Prepares postings to initiate for new and vacant positions.
- Processes reclassifications of encumbered positions when a payroll action is required.
Classification and Recruitment Form (CARF)
The CARF is used to request the classification and/or recruitment of all new, vacant, and encumbered staff positions. It captures the key responsibilities and other relevant information, to include a current organization chart, related to the position under review. This information is essential in determining its appropriate classification and grade/range.
Applicant Tracking System (ATS)
The ATS streamlines the process to request classifications and/or postings of new, vacant, or encumbered positions.
- Easy-to-use, online system that allows you to submit the required forms and obtain all the necessary approvals electronically, even from the budget office
- You can monitor the progress of your requests online
Generic Job Description Summaries
Summary generic descriptions and requirements for representative positions within the Administrative, Professional or Supervisory job families are available.
- Academic Support/Student Services Titles (assistant deans, student services, admissions, health services, library services)
- Administrative Titles (administrative assistants, departmental administrators, program coordinators)
- Business/Accounting Titles
- Central Administrative Titles (facilities, housing, dining services)
- External Affairs Titles (public relations, editorial/media specialists, development)
- Information Technology Titles
- Research/Technical Titles