What is the Staff Compensation Program (SCP)?
- A vehicle for managing employee performance and development
- A performance-based compensation program for staff employees represented by URA-AFT. However, this component of the program is subject to the terms of the URA-AFT Agreement, and adequate funding, therefore, there may be years when there is no salary increase associated with the performance evaluation process.
What is your role in the Staff Compensation Program?
To be actively involved in the process by:
- Being aware of timelines as indicated in Article 41 of the URA-AFT Labor Agreement
- Ensuring that your area supervisors understand the SCP process
- Clarifying your unit’s standards and measures for performance
- During years when salary increase funding is available:
- Understanding and being involved in the budget process and allocating resources appropriately
- Communicating expectations and parameters for performance improvement plans for employees who are not meeting standards
- Ensuring the maintenance of records at the departmental level
- Ensuring that new supervisors attend educational sessions about the SCP
- Ensuring cooperation with other areas/supervisors where an employee has a joint appointment, and
- Being aware of any requests for review from employees, per Article 41 of the URA-AFT Labor Agreement, and participating in the process when necessary. Ensuring that timelines are met in this regard.
How can you learn more about the SCP Process?
As a supervisor of URA-AFT staff, you play a critical role in the success of the SCP program.
Self-guided online programs are available to help you understand the current year's program, how to set and communicate performance standards to your employees, and how to effectively facilitate the appraisal process. University Human Resources staff will also guide you through the unique issues and problems that sometimes face supervisors during the SCP process.
New supervisors are encouraged to participate in these self-guided programs. You can register online via the Learning and Development website.
Roles and Responsibilities
|Department||University Human Resources|
|Communicates area timeline and processes to supervisors||Ensures relevant information is available on UHR website|
|Makes recommendation on rating and increase to vice president/chancellor||Manages the SCP Online System|
|Facilitates appraisal meetings for all URA-AFT staff employees in area||Educates supervisors on the appraisal process|
|Communicates overall ratings and increases to employees|
|Retains original SCP forms with final signatures|