Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS) is a defined benefit plan where retirement benefit is based on a formula and guaranteed by the state.
Membership Tiers and Eligibility
The passage of Chapters 92 and 103, P.L. 2007, Chapter 89, P.L. 2008 and Chapter 2, P.L. 2010, changed the enrollment and retirement criteria for PERS members enrolled as of certain dates. These differences in PERS membership are referred to as "membership tiers". Please refer to the PERS Membership Tier Chart for additional information.
7.5% of salary made on a pretax basis.
Determined annually by the state.
How to Enroll
- Complete a PERS Enrollment Application
- Online Pension Loan Application
- Please return the completed forms to your Human Resources department
Voluntary Tax Deferred Savings Plans
You may supplement your retirement savings by participating in:
- Additional Contributions Tax-Sheltered Programs (ACTS)
- Supplemental Annuity Collective Trust (SACT)
- NJ State Employees' Deferred Compensation Plan (NJSEDCP)
Types of Retirement
Service, Early, Veteran, Deferred, Ordinary Disability*, Accidental Disability*
Please refer to the PERS Membership Tier Chart for eligibility criteria
*PERS members who retire on a disability retirement on or after June 1, 2010 must pay a minimum of 1.5% of their monthly allowance as a health benefits contribution in retirement
Request a Retirement Estimate
- You may request a Retirement Estimate up to 24 months prior to retirement
- Complete a Request for Retirement Estimate form and return it to the state
- Also available via Member Benefits Online System (MBOS)
Six months prior to retirement, attend a retirement seminar. You can enroll online by selecting the "Employee Benefit and Work-Life Programs" menu option.
How to Apply for Retirement
- Complete an Application for Retirement Allowance via Member Benefits Online System (MBOS)
- Send a copy of the Summary of Retirement Application Information to your Human Resources department
*Effective October 1, 2012, The NJ Division of Pension and Benefits is no longer accepting paper applications for retirement. Applications for retirement must be submitted online via the Member Benefits Online System (MBOS).