The university recognizes the importance of maintaining a comprehensive benefit program. The following is an overview of what we offer our employees. The particular plans available to individual members will vary depending upon one's employment status.
Employee Health Benefits
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO) Health Maintenance Organization plans administered by Horizon
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Preferred provider organization plans administered by Horizon
- Tiered Network (TN) Tiered network plans administered by Horizon
- High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP) Preferred provider organization plans administered by Horizon
Prescription Drug Plan
Allows participants to obtain prescriptions at participating retail pharmacies for modest co-payments. A mail order service is also available for participants who require maintenance medications.
- Dental Expense Plan (PPO)
A traditional indemnity plan, administered by Aetna, allows members to obtain services from any licensed dentist
- Dental Plan Organizations (DPOs)
Individual plans that offer services only through networks of participating dentists
Section 125 Program
- Premium Option Plan (POP)
Medical and dental premiums paid with before-tax dollars
- Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account
Participants set aside before-tax dollars for eligible health care expenses
- Unreimbursed Dependent Care Spending Account
Participants may set aside before-tax dollars for eligible child and dependent care expenses
- Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
A defined benefit pension plan in which retirement benefits are based on a formula and guaranteed by the state
- Alternate Benefit Program (ABP)
A defined contribution plan in which retirement benefits are based on investment returns
Optional Tax Deferral Plans
Plans are available to help employees defer federal taxes now and save for retirement; Rutgers offers both 403(b) and 457 plans that provide a variety of investment options.
Other Benefits Available to Faculty and Staff
- Commuter Tax$ave
Allows employees to set aside before-tax dollars to pay for eligible mass transit expenses.
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program
Free confidential counseling service available to employees and their family members.
- Family and Medical Leave
Employees may receive 12 weeks of unpaid leave in any 12- or 24-month period for serious health condition or care for certain family members.
- Additional Benefits and Services
- Non-State Benefits for Employees in Rutgers Positions
- Non-State Benefits for Employees in RBHS Positions
- Workplace banking
- Employee discounts
- Concerts, lectures, and exhibits
- Athletic events at reduced prices
Note: The purpose of this information is to provide prospective employees with general information about benefits programs available to employees of Rutgers University. As a result, precise interpretations of policy should not be made from this webpage.